Eating speed figures prominently in determining whether you will become a fatter person or a leaner person. The facts have shown that people who eat their meals in a slower fashion tend to eat less and also tend to weigh less. Here are some reasons to eat slowly:
1. Lose weight: Eating slowly prevents you from over-eating. It takes the brain 15 or 20 minutes to recognize that the stomach is full. If you’re in a fast food restaurant, and the burger slips down your throat rather too easily, then your brain will kick in too late. Numerous studies have found that people who eat fast are three times more likely to be obese than people who eat slowly.
2. Enjoy your food: It’s hard to enjoy your food if it goes by too quickly.The more you eat, the less flavor you enjoy. If you eat them slowly, you can get the same amount of great taste, but with less going into your stomach. Make your meals a gastronomic pleasure, not a thing you do rushed, between stressful events.
3. Improve Digestion: Eating slowly is good for digestion. This starts with chewing food more. Enzymes in saliva help break down the food, so it gets digested more easily and fully. The more chewing work you do, the less strain on your gut.
4. Take a stand against the fast pace of life: We already rush from one task to the next – I have no idea how I’ll get through my to-do list today – and eating slowly is high on the casualty list. Let your eating habits reflect the newfound control you have over your life.
5. Less Stress: It’s a way to reduce the stress in your life. It can be a form of mindfulness exercise. Be in the moment, rather than rushing through meal thinking about what you need to do next. This could lead to a less stressful life.